Scenic (formerly Scenic Tours)
The History of Scenic Tours
In 1987, Australian entrepreneur Glen Moroney founded Scenic Tours, a company that got its start offering coach trips to the Australian coast. Initially, Scenic Tours marketed its product to residents of Melbourne but soon realized that its guests would travel further with them.
During the next two decades, Scenic Tours continued to grow and expand, earning accolades from travelers around the world for quality and service, not to mention Scenic’s rapidly diversifying array of tour packages.
In 2008, Scenic Tours expanded once again, this time jumping into the river cruise market with the launch of the trademark Scenic “Space Ships.”
On April 13, 2015, Scenic Tours officially changed its name to Scenic.
In 2016, Scenic announced plans to construct its first luxury oceangoing expedition ship, Scenic Eclipse. The ship, which is set to debut in 2018, will feature its very own submersible craft and two onboard helicopters. Scenic intends to deploy her to Antarctica and the Far Arctic, as well as destinations in between. When she enters service on August 31, 2018, she will embark on a series of Mediterranean cruises throughout Europe before launching discovery sailings to the Americas and Antarctica. Voyages to the Norwegian fjords and the Far Arctic are also on-tap.
The Scenic Fleet
These river cruise vessels are the first to be owned and operated by an Australian company. Each Space Ship features full step-out balconies in place of the French balcony staterooms that have characterized the majority of river cruise ships in the past. A full 80 percent of all staterooms aboard each Scenic Space Ship are equipped as such, while the remaining 20 percent of accommodations are made up of comfortable, 160-square foot Oceanview staterooms with large windows.
Scenic continued its fleet expansion beyond 2012. In 2013 the Scenic Jewel was christened. Two new “space ships” were added in 2014 – Scenic Gem and Scenic Jade. In 2015, Scenic welcomed the Scenic Jasper and Scenic Opal, and 2016 saw the line take delivery of three new ships: Scenic Aura on the Irrawaddy, Scenic Azure , on Portugal’s Douro River, and Scenic Spirit on the Mekong. Scenic Amber entered service in 2016 on the waterways of Europe.
Thoughtful extras are also featured at many accommodation levels aboard Scenic’s Space Ships. Complimentary butler service is offered on all Balcony Suites, along with complimentary shoe shine service and laundry at no charge. Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be ordered in-room, a rarity among river cruise ships, many of which offer no room service of any kind.
These and many other features are just a few of the ways Scenic aims to distinguish itself from the pack.
Currently, Scenic offers river cruises that explore all the waterways of Europe, from the natural splendor of the Netherlands to the raw, untouched beauty of the Black Sea. Scenic also sails to Cambodia and Myanmar on the Mekong, and to Myanmar (Burma) along the Irrawaddy River. In the past, the line has also offered journeys along Russia‘s Volga River.
For a comprehensive overview of all that Scenic offers, see Ralph Grizzle’s May 2015 Live Voyage Report aboard Scenic Jasper.
Our Take On Scenic
Scenic strives to be the most inclusive of all river cruise companies. So naturally gratuities and 24/7 bar is included, but also laundry service and nearly everything else you can think of. The ships are beautiful with gorgeous staterooms. There are also multiple dining venues. See In Bordeaux, The Exceptional All-Inclusiveness Of Scenic River Cruises
Connect with Scenic
Get My Help With Your Scenic River Cruise
Complete the form for special savings or added perks that I may be able to obtain from River Cruise Advisor’s travel partners.
Read other articles about the Scenic.
Scenic Ship Reviews
|Ship||Live Voyage Report|