AVALON EXPRESSION Ship Review
AVALON EXPRESSION Overview
The Avalon Expression entered the market in 2013. It has the same characteristics of Avalon Waterways’ other Suite Ships. More than 80% of its staterooms are classified as suites. They feature a wall-to-wall window with an Open-Air Balcony®. Staterooms range in size from 172 square feet to 300 square feet.
Carrying up to 166 passengers and 47 crew members, the Avalon Expression is 443 feet long. The vessel cruises along several waterways in Europe from the Rhine to the Danube, including the Dutch & Belgian Waterways.
A few of the amenities you’ll find onboard the ship, include the Observation and Panorama Lounge, Sky Bistro, Panorama Bistro, Fitness Center and the main Dining Room.
AVALON EXPRESSION Staterooms
There are six different stateroom categories aboard the Avalon Expression. Categories are further differentiated by their relative position on the ship and their square footage:
Indigo Deck (Deck 1)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the first deck and all are located Forward & Midship.
- Category E is a Standard Stateroom. There are 6 staterooms available located Forward. This category features two windows that do not open. Stateroom size is 172 square feet.
- Category D is a Standard Stateroom. There are 10 staterooms available located Midship. This category features two window that do not open. Stateroom size is 172 square feet.
Sapphire Deck (Deck 2)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the second deck located Midship and Aft.
- Category B is a Panorama Suite. There are 9 cabins available located Aft. This category features a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®. Stateroom size is 200 square feet.
- Category A is a Panorama Suite. There are 23 cabins available located Midship. This category features a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®. Stateroom size is 200 square feet.
Royal Deck (Deck 3)
There are 2 stateroom categories on the third deck.
- Category P is a Panorama Suite. There are 32 cabins available located Midship and Aft. This category features a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®. Stateroom size is 200 square feet.
- Royal Suite – There are only 2 Royal Suites (#310 and #312) available. Both are located Midship. This category features a Wall-to-Wall Panoramic Window with Open-Air Balcony®. Stateroom size is 300 square feet.
All cabins are furnished with Comfort Collection BedsSM, which feature Egyptian super-combed cotton linens, European-style duvets, memory foam mattress toppers and your choice of either soft or firm pillows.
In addition to comfortable bedding, guests will receive a bathrobe and slippers and be treated to L’Occitane bath products.
Each stateroom has a flat-screen satellite TV with movie channel, well-stocked minibar, complimentary WiFi, in-room safe, writing desk and individual climate control.
Panorama and Royal Suites have a 6-person sitting area with a sofa and coffee table and bathrooms are designed with marble countertops. And the Royal Suite bathrooms feature double sinks.
AVALON EXPRESSION Public Areas
The Avalon Expression has a few dining options with some a little more casual. You can enjoy open-seating in the Main Dining Room, which is located on the Sapphire Deck (Deck 2). There are also two Bistros onboard – the Panorama Bistro is located on the Royal Deck (Deck 3) and the Sky Bistro is located on the top deck (Deck 4).
If you like to mingle with other guests in a lounge atmosphere, the Observation Lounge, Panorama Lounge and Club Lounge are on Deck 3 and the Sky Lounge is on Deck 4.
A few other areas to enjoy on the Avalon Expression, include the Deck Game Area and a Whirlpool. Both are located on the Sky Deck.
If you like to maintain an exercise regimen while traveling, there’s a Fitness Center on the IndigoDeck. And if you need the services of a hair salon during your river cruise, you’ll find one on the Royal Deck.
River Cruisers Should Know!
- All staterooms and suites have a river view.
- An elevator for passenger use is available.
- Wireless internet service is available throughout the ship, including stateroom.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.
Read other articles about the Avalon Expression.
Live Voyage Report – Avalon Creativity On The Seine
- Day 1: Cruising La Seine From Paris to Rouen Through Art & History On Avalon Waterways’ Creativity
- Day 2: Two Overnights In Paris On Avalon Creativity
- Day 3: Monet, Monet, Monet: Impressions Of An Impressionist’s Gardens In Giverny
- Day 4: Roses & Ruins In Rouen, And A Young Lady Martyred & Remembered
- Day 5: A Trip To The Landing Beaches & A Stunning Discovery At The American Cemetery
- Day 6: Conquering Richard The Lionheart’s Castle
- Day 7: Avalon Creativity Cruise Review: Seven Days On The Seine, Does Avalon Measure Up?
Avalon Waterways - Europe Ships
Avalon Waterways - Asia
|Live Voyage Report
|Avalon Myanmar (Irrawaddy River)
|Avalon Siem Reap (Mekong River)
Read other articles on River Cruise Advisor about Avalon Waterways.