RIVER ORCHID Ship Review
RIVER ORCHID Overview
The River Orchid, which sails on the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia, was launched in 2013. The Colonial-Style vessel is much smaller than river cruise ships in Europe. It is 168 feet long and 33.4 feet wide and carries 58 guests and 28 crew members. There are 29 staterooms ranging in size from 168 square feet to 232 square feet, so even the suites are relatively small.
One striking difference about the River Orchid is that there are no balconies in any of the staterooms. On the other hand, all cabins have a large picture window that opens. And all have French doors that open to a shared promenade.
RIVER ORCHID Staterooms
There are 4 different stateroom categories aboard the River Orchid; and unlike most other river cruise ships, there are not staterooms on Deck 1. Categories are further differentiated by their relative position on the ship and their square footage:
Lotus Deck (Deck 2)
There are two stateroom categories on the first deck and all are located Midship to Forward.
- Category 3 is a Standard Stateroom. There are 3 staterooms available located Midship and Forward. This category features a large picture window that opens and French doors leading out to a shared promenade. Stateroom size is 168 square feet.
- Category 2 is a Standard Stateroom. There are 6 staterooms available located Midship. This category features a large picture window that opens and French doors leading out to a shared promenade. Stateroom size is 168 square feet.
Jasmine Deck (Deck 3)
There are three stateroom categories on the second deck.
- Category 2 is a Standard Stateroom. There are 2 cabins available located Aft. This category features a large picture window that opens and French doors leading out to a shared promenade. Stateroom size is 168 square feet.
- Category 1 is a Deluxe Stateroom. There are 18 cabins available located Aft to Forward. This category features a large picture window that opens and French doors leading out to a shared promenade. Stateroom size is 168 square feet.
- Suite – There are 2 cabins (#301 and #302) available located Forward. This category features a large picture window that opens and French doors leading out to a shared promenade. Stateroom size is 232 square feet.
All riverview staterooms and suites have hotel-style beds draped in fine linens. Staterooms also feature vanities, built-in closets, under-the-bed storage, safes, individually controlled air conditioning, and bottled water.
Bathrooms are stocked with fine bath and body products, hair dryer, bathrobes and slippers.
All suites have additional amenities and services, including tropical fruit plate on embarkation day, in-suite bottle of wine upon embarkation, private deck dining outside the suite once during cruise (restrictions apply), and complimentary onboard laundry service once per cruise.
Note: While the River Orchid is a friendly and comfortable ship, its amenities may differ from those of a Uniworld company-owned ship.
RIVER ORCHID Public Areas
There is only one Dining Room on the River Orchid. It’s located on Deck 2 and serves both local Asian cuisine as well as some Western dishes. Guests are treated to a panoramic view as they dine.
On the fourth deck, there’s a Sundeck and Bar and Lounge for guests to mingle. The Sundeck provides guests with a panoramic view of the scenery.
In addition to the public areas already mentioned, the River Orchid feature movie nights, a cooking workshop and local fruit and beverage-tasting workshops onboard.
For those who enjoy the comforts of a spa, the River Orchid has a high-end luxury spa. Due to popularity and limited availability, a session must be booked in advance.
There is also a Boutique, which offers items such as magazines, books, postcards, toiletries, clothes and craft items for sale. And the library is a great place for people who like to read books and magazines, listen to music, watch videos or play games in their spare time.
The Guest Reception Area is located on Deck 3.
Itineraries & Pricing
- 15-day Mekong (“Timeless Wonders of Vietnam, Cambodia & The Mekong”), 7-day cruise, Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi, from $5,649, Jan-Dec
River Cruisers Should Know!
- All staterooms and suites have a river view.
- There is not an elevator available for passenger use.
- Wireless service is not available onboard the ship.
- Guests in suites aboard S.S. Maria Theresa receive free laundry service and a shoe shine.
- Airport transfer fees and gratuities are included.
- Onboard stateroom power is 220 volts; North American cruisers will require a power adapter.
Get My Help With Your Uniworld Cruise
Complete the form for special savings or added perks that I may be able to obtain from River Cruise Advisor's travel partners.
Read other articles about the River Orchid articles.